Athens is not just about antiquity. Being a contemporary city, Athens is full of intricate modern buildings, each with a story worth discovering. A large group of architects, local and foreign, known and unknown, have built a vast amount of interesting buildings, contributing to the cityscape of the modern metropolis.
Through the private walking tour proposed, you will discover masterpieces of classic and contemporary architecture hidden in plain sight, and you will come to know the stories behind present-day Athens.
- Admire significant buildings
- Take in amazing views of the city sprawl
- Enjoy stunning panoramic views
- Discover Neo-Classical, Modern, Post-Modern and contemporary architecture
- Drift through the modern city
- 4-hour walking tour (ability to extend to a 8 hour tour)
- Greek coffee or herbal tea (4h) ( 8-hour tour includes a Light Lunch)
- Services of a specialized Insider guide
- All taxes
Starting from 40 €/p.p. for a group of eight people.
Prices vary according to group size.
For detailed pricing and tour options please visit our booking form
Following that, you will then ascend to the highest and most well-known hill of Athens, Lycabettus Hill, in order to perceive the sprawl of the modern city in the Athens basin but also to explore the beautiful park. After enjoying the view and the surroundings, you will continue your tour descending towards the alternative Exarchia area, characterized as the “centre of political outspokenness”, to admire its intricate modernist and neoclassical buildings.
You will then venture towards Athens’ oldest public squares, Omonoia and Kotzia Squares, both strongly linked to the architectural and everyday life of the Athenians and stop for a delicious lunch and a refreshment near the Central Food Market.
(4hour tour ends here- Below follows the 8-hour version of this tour)
The second part of the tour continues off the beaten track, towards Metaxourgheio, Gazi, and Filopappos Hill neighborhoods, exploring along the way interesting stories linked to buildings of the last two centuries.
You will uncover the stories of Metaxourgheio and its so-called China Town, the industrial and loft buildings of Gazi linked to the development of the city and its new life as a cultural spot.
Your itinerary will then go through the quiet Filopappos Hill with its private residencies and apartment buildings of great architectural and historic value.
You end your tour on the busy Syggrou-Fix Metro Station and the new Museum of Modern Art to conclude a day full of exciting discoveries.
Guided tour and entrance fees to any archaeological site
Duration: 4 and/or 8 hours
Suggested starting Time: 9:00 a.m or 10:00 a.m.
Notes & Clarifications
The tour is available on a private basis which allows further customization
If you wish you can extend the tour duration to an 8-hour walking tour (to book this version please send us an inquiry)
You can always choose between the two suggested itineraries suggested above.
Since this is a walking tour you will need to be wearing comfortable shoes, a hat and sun-block. Don’t forget to bring a water bottle and lots of energy!
This tour does not include a guided tour to any archaeological site.
What makes us different?
- We offer only private tours. No mixed groups
- We are absolutely flexible. Our tours can be customized to your wishes
- Special requests are always welcome. We love to tailor holidays
- All of our tours are designed and operated by our company
- Our tour leaders “Insiders” are thoroughly selected and trained, each one of them expert in his field
- We always match the best tour leader “Insider” to fit your interests