Travel through the centuries to the heart of Arcadia, hike along scenic trails and enjoy the enchanting natural settings on this one-day excursion.
Arcadia is an otherworldly destination that every nature-lover should explore! Here, the incredible variations and contrasts of the landscape create pictures as if they have been taken from a fairy tale.
Mainalo Mountain, with an altitude of 1.980m, is the heart and soul of Arcadia; blessed with pristine landscapes, enchanting trails and one of the most beautiful fir forests of Greece.
- Immerse yourself in the mountain’s singular beauty
- Hike through alpine forests and scenic trails
- Visit the historic village of Alonistena
- Learn about the richness of the history and mythology of this land
- 10-hour private excursion and hike including:
- Hotel Pick-up and return via private vehicle
- Transport by private car or minivan
- Refreshment and snack basket
- Snack pack for the hike
- Walking sticks
- Lunch or dinner at a local tavern
- Private services of a specialized “Insider” driver
- Private services of a specialized “Insider” hiker
- Farewell gift
- All taxes
Visit, guided tour and entry fees at any archaeological site
Duration: 10 hours
Suggested starting Time: 08:00 a.m., 09:00 a.m.
Depart in the morning from Athens and arrive at the mountain refuge at Ostrakina plateau at 1600m, next to the Mainalon ski resort. From there, trek up to the Alonistena village passing through magnificent pine forests overlooking the beautiful peaks of Aydin and Ostrakinas.
Alonistena is a beautiful traditional stone-built village located in the heart of the Mainalo mountains (1200m), in a small valley between Piana and Vytina, just 25km from Tripoli. This village, which is one of the highest in the Peloponnese, has a great history as it is the village that gave the greatest assistance during the liberation struggle of 1821 and the place of upbringing of Theodore Kolokotronis, the prominent military and political personality of the Greek War of Independence.
Once you have enjoyed the beauty of this mountain village and its wonderful natural surroundings you will indulge in a delicious lunch at a traditional tavern before departing for Athens.
Notes & Clarifications
- Prices vary according to group size
- The above day-to-day itinerary should be taken only as a general guide. It is not possible to guarantee that the trip will run exactly according to the proposed itinerary. A variety of factors, including adverse weather conditions, can lead to enforced changes. The trip leader will make any changes that are necessary for the safety and well-being of the group
What makes us different?
- We offer only private tours. No mixed groups
- We are absolutely flexible. Our tours can be customized to your wishes
- Special requests are always welcome. We love to tailor holidays
- All of our tours are designed and operated by our company
- Our tour leaders “Insiders” are thoroughly selected and trained, each one of them expert in his field
- We always match the best tour leader “Insider” to fit your interests