Enjoy a half-day private excursion to Elefsina, the European Capital of Culture in the year 2021
- Enjoy a private guided tour with an experienced state licensed guide
- Acquire Insider background information, anecdotes and historical knowledge about the Eleusinian Mysteries and the legend of goddess Demetra
- 4-hour private excursioni ncluding:
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off (vehicle)
- Transport by private car or mini van
- Refreshments & snack basket in vehicle
- 2-hour private guided tour to Elefsina
- Private services of a state-licensed guide for the entire excursion
- Private services of a specialized ‘Insider’ driver
- All taxes
Elefsina is world-famous for the Eleusinian Mysteries and also as the birthplace of Aeschylus, one of the three great tragedists of antiquity. Depart in the
morning from your hotel and drive Northwest of Athens to reach Elefsina.
It used to be one of the five holy cities of Greece with the famous Eleusinian Mysteries –which were linked to the myth of Demeter and her daughter Persephone- attracting pilgrims from all over the known world.
Nowadays, in the archeological site of Elefsina you will admire the Roman courtyard where the temple of
Artemis Propylaea is located, the remains of a fountain and two triumphal arches. Then you will visit the
precincts of the sanctuary of Greater Propylaea, next to which is preserved the Kallichoro Frear. Then you will reach the main temple of Demetra, the Telesterion.
An entertaining trip just outside Athens, that can also be combined with a delicious traditional lunch.
Duration: 4 hours
Languages: English & Other languages upon request
Suggested starting time: 08.00 a.m or 09.00 a.m.
Notes & Clarifications
- Prices vary according to group size
- Keep in mind that this is a private tour and possible to customize to meet your desires. Should you want to change the itinerary please do not hesitate to contact us by sending us a request through the inquiry form
- Don’t forget your hat, sun-block and a light cardigan
What makes us different?
- We offer only private tours. No mixed groups
- We are absolutely flexible. Our tours can be customized to your wishes
- Special requests are always welcome. We love to tailor holidays
- All of our tours are designed and operated by our company
- Our tour leaders “Insiders” are thoroughly selected and trained, each one of them expert in his field
- We always match the best tour leader “Insider” to fit your interests
Photos Credit: Carole Raddato